Wednesday, August 31, 2011

"Motorcycle madness and mosquitos" Shesoffagain's photos around Iquitos, Peru (iquitos mosquitos)

Preview of Shesoffagain's blog at TravelPod. Read the full blog here: www.travelpod.com This blog preview was made by TravelPod using the TripAdvisor™ TripWow slideshow creator. Entry from: Iquitos, Peru Entry Title: "Motorcycle madness and mosquitos" Entry: "There are fans in the internet place where I´m sitting, but they only seem to be circulating hot air and I´m still sweating to death. I´m in Iquitos, a city in the far north-east of the country, in the heart of the Peruvian Amazon. It´s the largest city in the world that can´t be reached by road. In fact the only road out of town goes to a smaller town called Nauta, and you can´t get anywhere else from there by road either. If you want to come to Iquitos, you have to take a riverboat for several days, or fly, as I did. I first arrived here a little over a week ago, and it felt like an adventure from the minute the plane landed. This place is unlike any other city I´ve visited so far. The first thing that hits you is that it is HOT. Think Darwin in the build-up but much worse. The other thing you notice is the noise. Instead of cars, almost everyone rides motorcycles or takes motocarros (tuk-tuks). I´m guessing it´s easier to ship bikes than cars and buses, although there are a few of both. The streets are teeming with motorbikes, and my guide tells me there are about 50000 motocarros in Iquitos (population 400000). You can imagine the noise all those little engines make! The other thing that is different here, is ...

No comments:

Post a Comment